The Wedge of the San Rafael

The Wedge of the San Rafael
Someone has to live here, in the middle of desert beauty. Might as well be the Kellys.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cancelled book signings

H'mm, here's an interesting development. Emily called from Cedar Fort today to tell me that the two Seagull Bookstore booking signings this week end have been cancelled because all the Borrowed Lights are sold out! I was a bit surprised, and disappointed, too. Once I get geared up for a booksigning, I like to go through it.  She said the books will be arriving sometime next week, so we have to reschedule those April 16 signings for sometime in May. So it goes. I was honestly hoping for two good booksignings to take away the taste of last week's fiasco at the Deseret Book on S. University.

I'm very much looking forward to the April 23 event in Mt. Pleasant. Apparently the good folks there have remodeled their library, and are holding two days of booksignings then: one on Friday basically for children's and young adult authors, and the next one on Saturday for the rest of us. I'm looking forward to it, plus the chance to shill Here's to the Ladies, as well.

Ladies is still my favorite book, probably because the Indian Wars setting always reminds me of the fun I had during my ranger years in the National Park Service. It was the kind of a job where they paid me every two weeks for doing what I probably would have done for free. So enjoyable. And along with the setting of some of America's best Indian Wars forts were the wonderful men I worked with through the years- most retired now, one gone, all remembered with great fondness.

I'll be seeing most of the at the end of April at the Fort Robinson Indian Wars Conference, in Crawford, Nebraska. It's a terrific setting for a great gathering. Since there are only so many Indian Wars scholars, we all tend to see each other every few years.

When I was in Cheyenne a few weeks ago, I went to the State Museum there and was lucky enough to find a copy of Tom Lindmier's I See By Your Outfit: Historic Cowboy Gear of the Northern Plains. I'll take it along for him to autograph, because I gave my original copy of Lindmier's book to a friend in North Dakota before we moved. I always called him Lindmier; maybe that's where I got the idea for Mr. Otto to plague Julia Darling by using her last name only.

But Saturday, it's off to the grandkids' house in Magna, which will ultimately be more fun than a booksigning. We're having an early Easter egg hunt - provided there's no blizzard - and husband Martin bought puh-lenty of chocolate treats for the plastic eggs. I'll make my sugar cookie dough and we'll make way too many cookies, too, because we can. I can't think of a better reason.

2 comments:

  1. Carla, I very much enjoyed Here's to the Ladies, it's a wonderful book! Are you going to be writing more fiction in that vein?

    Also, I recently revisited a story you wrote in a collection about weddings, Something New. I truly loved it. A real treat to read again, and I seem to recall hearing that you might be working on a collection of stories for Christmas this year? Is that true or am I just remembering news of a publisher putting out a collection of previously published material? Am very much hoping it's the former!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I'm glad you enjoyed that weddings collection. Goodness, that was a long time ago. Yes, I just finished a Christmas anthology collection for Harlequin Historicals which will be out in November 2011. I had long wanted to write all three Christmas stories in one anthology, and HH agreed. They're tied together by letters. The first story is Royal Navy Surgeon Thomas Wilkie's. The next is his daughter's story, and the third is Wilkie's grandson. Each story is preciptated by a war: Napoleonic, Crimean, and the Great Sioux War of 1876-77. Fun project. (And how convenient for each war to be spaced about a generation from the other!)

    ReplyDelete